Each event page on this website has a link to a google map showing the event venue.
Stage Coach Bus
The bus routes for Teignmouth are the number 2 and 22, connecting Teignmouth with Dawlish Warren, Newton Abbot and Exeter.
Bishopsteignton is also on route 2, as well as the X84.
The 2 and X64 provide links to the ‘Fry Up Friday’ event in Newton Abbot, with bus stops on Pottery Road.
Here is a link to the Stagecoach website where you can find the timetables: www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables
Teignmouth & Shaldon Ferry
The passenger ferry operates a continuous daily service between Teignmouth and Shaldon.
Not only does it provide an essential link between Teignmouth and Shaldon for residents and visitors, but also access to local walks such as the coast path that continues along the coastline.
The service operates everyday, except Christmas Day and New Years Day, running on demand during our service times and approximately every 10-15 minutes in busy periods.
Dogs, bicycles and pushchairs are all welcome but please be aware that the ferry is accessed from the beach for all landings. Where possible the ferry staff will do their best to assist with pushchairs.
Service operates between Teignmouth back beach, near the Lifeboat House and Shaldon Beach.
Our ferries are regularly inspected and carry full safety equipment.
The Teignmouth to Shaldon Ferry is a central part of life on the River Teign and is possibly the oldest passenger service in England.
The ferry crossing can be traced back to 1296, but is probably much older, with origins in Saxon times. It has always been an important link and in those days saved a 14 mile journey to Shaldon and beyond, via Newton Abbot.
The ferry now runs from the bottom of Lifeboat Lane in Teignmouth, but throughout its history has landed in several different places. For instance, during World War Two, the ferry landing moved along the beach to Gales Hill, next to the present commercial docks, as the whole area around The Point was used by U.S. Forces for the repair and preparation of landing craft for D Day.
Black and white ‘gunports’ were added to the rowing boat ferries after the Napoleonic wars to make them look like ‘fearsome’ Men o’ War. This tradition continued with the advent of the first motor ferries nos. 1 & 2 in 1907-08.
The first bridge was built around 1827 and the ferry was then owned by the Shaldon Bridge Company until it was purchased by the local Council in the early 1950s.
Teignbridge District Council still retain the ‘rights to the crossing and own the No.4 ferry, which was built in 1946.